29 декабря 2007 г.

First Night 2008 in St. Louis

Today, I've already bought an admission button to the First Night 2008 in St. Louis as its price before the new Year's Eve was $2 less, so I've chosen this Friday as a trip day (to use the daily metro pass as much as possible before its end with the semester wrap-up) to go to the MetroRide Center in the downtown St. Louis.

The America Center was a big structure with long empty halls and small MetroRide section in the right corner, under the Explore Missouri title.

First I thought that the center would be in a skyscraper on the other side of the street. I entered large halls, filled with piano music (though nobody was seen playing a lonely piano) and after checking out first two floors it appeared to be One US Bank Plaza. Well, I have nothing to do with their ATMs, which looked very small in comparison with covered corridors and elegant (not for full people) elevators in the grand hall. Only then I figured out where the center I needed was located.

After purchasing the button (without any map, as the site promised), I decided to come back and read the Friday's issue of St. Louis Post-Dispatch on my ride back to the campus. Though I wanted a Thursday's edition (with movie pass quizzes), I have not found it in all the places (including those, where I saw a Thursday's issue on the Friday's evening the week before).

The MetroLink station in downtown St. Louis was more like a real metro, underground with fearful noises of approaching trains and separate east- and westbound entrances on different sides of the street. The smiling guard asked me to show the ticket, and I was to glad to show my daily pass (I don't like the days when nobody checks your fare, for one can ride several days on Metro without meeting controllers). And again, the station even with 
modern indicators and lights looked as it was fifty years old at least because of bricks it was made of). MetroLink was build only 14 years ago, but older station in my native Ukraine's capital city Kiev look more beautiful.

So, this New Year would be the first, which I will be meeting at street. The program offers dance collectives, comic shows, historical movies (interesting...) and two fireworks with the second one to celebrate the coming of the year 2008).

The festivities from the Grand Center district of St. Louis will be aired live on the local PBS affiliate, KETC, starting at 10 pm on December 31st, 2007.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий